This weekend: we focused on getting the skylights framed. This was not as easy as just cutting a hole in the roof deck. Because there is a knee wall already in place, we had to remove decking and insert the new rafters from the outside!
Now all the skylights are prepped, and I’m back home with pattern paper to start our patterns for the skylight wrap.
Folks, it’s been a great weekend. Kirk picked me up on Friday. He’s building a garage and using salvaged slate for the roof and the siding. Over the weekend we started work on the roof together. First task was the drip edge. We made some origami corners for the drip and used “my” double lock clip system which give it a real old-world handmade kinda look while also being very easy to install.
We don’t have copper yet so the pan-forming work will have to start next weekend. We are doing a 3′ snow apron in standing seam copper, and the roof will have 4 skylights so there is quite a lot of custom detailing to work on.
The drip corner starts as a miss-shaped copper fortune cookie..
And then it’s nailed onto the corner and shaped in-place with an anvil and planishing hammers.
No need to cut/miter the drip edge and the corner has a strong, one-piece gusset now that you can step on without it crushing.